The reduction of the total body mass of a person either as a result of dehydration (loss of fluid), loss of fat, some connective tissues and so on is known as weight loss. It can happen intentionally which is the conscious effort of the person or unintentionally which is usually as a result of any underlying disease. There are various reasons why a person will lose weight and these reasons are categorized under the two types of weight loss which are
1. Unintentional loss of weight
2. Intentional loss of weight
UNINTENTIONAL- this is a situation where you lose weight without any physical effort. This type is not voluntary which is to say that the person did not try to lose weight by dieting, exercising Carbofix or engaging in other habits that could trigger weight loss. Unintentional loss of weight can be triggered by any of the following.
1. Starvation- starvation is simply a state of extreme hunger, which automatically deprives the body of essential nutrients for an unusually long time. When your body is starved you are bound to lose weight.
2. Severe illness- if you are suffering from any severe illness like HIV/AIDS, colon cancer, fibroid, diabetes, overactive or under-active thyroid that is hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism respectively, peptic ulcer and so on you are bound to lose weight. Poor management of some sickness like type 1 diabetes mellitus can also lead to loss of weight.
3. Gastrointestinal disorders- This is the most common cause of weight loss, diarrhea, inflammatory bowel disease, peptic ulcer, celiac disease, gastritis are all types of gastrointestinal disorders.
4. Undue Stress- over-working the body can cause your body to use up stored fats as a way of getting energy.
INTENTIONAL- this is also known as voluntary loss of weight, it happens when a person decides to shed unwanted fat or lose weight in order to maintain a lean body or for any other reason. Losing weight in this manner is common as everyone wants to look sexy and fit. Intentional loss of weight features the following.
1. Dieting- this approach to weight loss is the method of using fat burning foods to burn excess fats. A diet like this will feature foods that are either low in calorie like nuts, salmon, beans and so on or foods that contain healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Exercise- this involves engaging in certain weight loss exercise, there are some exercises that can help you lose weight fast, exercises like running, swimming, running on a tread mill, crunches, sit-up and so on are examples of weight loss exercises.